“It’s always a great feeling to see the excitement on a student’s face when they finish reading a book and take it home. I’ve received lots of hugs and thanks.”
Who We Are
Experience Corps – Greater New Haven is a local affiliate of an award-winning national program whose older adult volunteers helps struggling young students become great readers.
What We Do
EC volunteers tutor students in Kindergarten through grade 3 who are struggling to learn to read. Each volunteer tutors in one participating school or after-school program in Hamden, New Haven, North Haven and East Haven 2 days a week (average of 5-6 hours) during the school year. EC tutoring focuses on improving students’ reading fluency using a 30-minute structured tutoring session.
What is Required
Excellent reading skills, a love of reading, to enjoy being with young children, patience, flexibility, an open mind, creativity and dedication. No prior teaching experience or experience working with children is required. Training is provided and volunteers receive regular support and supervision from Experience Corps staff.
Volunteers must be age 55 or over, have earned a high school diploma or equivalent and must pass a background check including fingerprinting.
Volunteering begins in October with 25+ hours of required training for all tutors.
As an Experience Corps volunteer, you will:
- Help young children become better readers and students.
- Share your experience and your love of reading and learning
- Get hugs and smiles from the students you tutor
- Have fun & make new friends
- Learn new skills & enhance ones you already have
- Stay physically and mentally active
- Make a real difference in the lives of the children you tutor