As we age, our metabolism will slow down, which means we need fewer calories than earlier in life. At the same time, however, nutrient needs will stay the same or even increase. Eating healthy is even more important than ever before!
Choose a variety of foods and beverages from each food group to build healthy eating styles. Include choices from all the MyPlate food groups to meet your calorie and nutrient needs when planning or preparing meals and snacks. Read more.
Healthy Eating As We Age
As we age, healthy eating can make a difference in our health, help to improve how we feel, and encourage a sense of well-being. Eating healthy has benefits that can help older adults. Here's some tips from the USDA.
- Add flavor to foods with spices and herbs instead of salt and look for low-sodium packaged foods.
- Add sliced fruits and vegetable to your meals and snacks. Look for pre-sliced fruits and vegetables on sale if slicing and chopping is a challenge.
- Ask your doctor to suggest other options if the medications you take affect your appetite or change your desire to eat.
- Drink 3 cups of fat-free or low-fat milk throughout the day. If you cannot tolerate milk try small amounts of yogurt, butter milk, hard cheese or lactose-free foods. Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Consume foods fortified with vitamin B12, such as fortified cereals.
American Heart Association - Simple Cooking and Recipes
USDA ChooseMyPlate - Recipes with search options for nutrition focus and more
National Council on Aging - Healthy Eating Tips for Seniors
National Institute on Aging - Healthy Eating
SNAP4CT - Your source for healthy, budget-friendly recipes, farmers markets, & tips for healthier living
One of the 10 healthy eating tips is to make eating a social event. Meals are more enjoyable when you eat with others. Check out a senior cafe near you!
Home-Delivered Meals are available to those who are 60 and older, homebound and are unable to prepare or obtain nourishing meals. To find out more and to apply contact:
- LifeBridge Community Services (New Haven Area Residents), 203-752-9919
- TEAM, Inc. (Valley Residents), 203 736-5420 ext 4225