Opportunities to Volunteer
Maintaining an independent lifestyle is dependent on maintaining your health and remaining engaged in your community. Volunteering is a great way stay engaged. Not only will the recipients of your time benefit, but volunteers report better health and a better outlook on life.
Some programs provide a small stipend. Some opportunities only require an hour a month, others a weekly schedule.
There are a wide array of opportunities available. We'll find the one that is right for you!
Featured Opportunity - Pen Pal project connects veterans with students
Started in October 2016 at the suggestion from Abner Oakes, Chair of the Hamden’s Veterans Commission, the pen pal program has offered over 50 local veterans an opportunity to engage with over 150 Hamden students. Letters are handwritten and exchanged each month throughout the school year. If you are a veteran, we would be honored to register you to participate in this amazing project.
- Connect with Others Serve as a COMPANION providing assistance and friendship to seniors who have difficulty with daily living tasks. or VISIT with someone who is isolated and alone. Just an occasional check-in and conversation can make all the difference in someone’s life.
- Provide Support for someone in need of non-medical assistance as they travel to and from medical procedures and doctor’s office visits.
- Make a difference in a child's life. Be a mentor by spending special time with children who need help at a critical time in their lives.
- Empower & Assist Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to address health care fraud.
- Qualify as a certified CHOICES Team Member and assist individuals enrolling in Medicare health insurance plans.